gmail smime, sends two messages one is not encrypted. Experience?

Mark H. Wood mwood at iupui.edu
Tue Dec 10 17:01:19 CET 2019

On Sun, Dec 08, 2019 at 10:38:43AM +0100, Uwe Brauer via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Now to the question s/mime versus gnupg.
>
> There are the following points which make s/mime easier.
>
>     1. Key generation. In s/mime you apply for a certificate and don't
>        have to generate the key by yourself.

Oh, I hope not.  The point of asymmetric crypto is that you never,
ever, give your private key to anyone, even, *especially*, the CA.
The proper way to get an X.509 certificate is to generate a keypair,
keep the private key private, and send a CSR containing the public key
to the entity which will issue the certificate.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library