GPGME frustrations (was OpenSSL/GnuPG usability)

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Dec 17 17:41:14 CET 2019

On 2019-12-17 10:09, Andrew Gallagher wrote:
> One of my frustrations has long been that the design is inverted - the
> core utility is the fully-featured CLI (gpg), and the wrapper interface
> is the reduced-featureset API (gpgme).

It's reduced *twice*.  Once by GPGME directly, and then once by whatever
language binding to GPGME you're using.  Not all language bindings are
made equal.  The C++ one is reasonably good; the Python one, likewise.
But the C# one is alpha-quality only, the Java ones don't even compile
any more, and so on.