gpg - difference --encrypt-to and --recipient

MFPA 2017-r3sgs86x8e-lists-groups at riseup.net
Wed Jan 2 02:13:43 CET 2019

Hi

On Monday 31 December 2018 at 9:06:39 PM, in
<mid:6A39FC9C-3105-451B-BB5E-6D6757337600 at colmena.biz>, justina
colmena via Gnupg-users wrote:-

> Shouldn't an email message (for example) be encrypted
> separately to
> each BCC recipient,

My opinion is that should be the case. However, most MUAs I've used
include the BCC recipients' keys in the encryption along with the To
and CC recipients' keys, so any email addresses in the user-IDs of
these keys are visible to all recipients.

As an exception, one MAU I used with an OpenPGP add-on would instead
send an individual copy of the message to each BCC recipient,
encrypted only to their key.

> or is this an intended all-in-one
> multiple-recipient encryption which cannot conceal
> from the
> cryptanalyst the fact that the same message,
> encrypted only once, is
> being sent to more than one receiving party?

With hidden-recipient or hidden-encrypt-to or throw-keyids, it is
clear how many keys were encrypted to, but the key IDs and user-IDs
are not present.

- --
Best regards

MFPA                  <mailto:2017-r3sgs86x8e-lists-groups at riseup.net>