Feature proposal - image encryption

Juergen Christoffel jc.gnupg18a at unser.net
Tue Jan 8 13:28:04 CET 2019

On Sun, Jan 06, 2019 at 11:12:28PM +0100, Stefan Claas wrote:
>GnuPG is world standard for email and probably file encryption, so
>why not for image encryption too? :-)

As Dirk already said, you can encrypt image files with GnuPG already ;-)

And why should I trust people less who maintain complicated software like
(the fantastic) ImageMagick?

>At least it would not hurt to have such feature in GnuPG. ;-)

I beg to differ. Given the classic Unix philosophy of chaining small tools
which do their job well, GnuPG is already way too complex, especially for
casual users. I generally prefer the ImageMagick concept of small tools
(convert, identify, mogrify, ...).

So using ImageMagick for image encryption (in the way you want to use it)
is fine, as using GnuPG for general file encryption is fine too. Creating
the "eierlegende Wollmilchsau"[*] (what next: steganography in GnuPG? Or
add audio encryption?) rarely does something good in the software world.

	--jc

[*] For reader's who don't know the "concept" take a look at
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eierlegende_Wollmilchsau ;-)

--
  Doctorow's Law: Anytime someone puts a lock on something you own, against
  your wishes, and doesn't give you the key, they're not doing it for your