gpg > addphoto

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Tue Jan 8 17:39:28 CET 2019

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 11:12:41 -0500, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Tue 2019-01-08 15:55:30 +0100, Stefan Claas wrote:
> > it seems a bit to much if you look at avatars, profile images
> > etc. on social media sites and other places. The images there are always
> > reasonably in size when displayed and do not offer such large image size for
> > usage, IIRC.
>
> I think you're recommending making a change to that default value.

Good question! I think a recommendation is already to late, because
like Peter said one can change the values. To be honest i don't
understand why this was implemented this way in the first place,
but it should be not my business i guess and people might use
it as a replacement for Yakamo K's image uploader to SKS, because
GnuPG makes it convenient to view then such images.

> Do you have a new default value that you want to propose for future
> versions of GnuPG?

GnuPG itself suggests an image size of 240x288 pixels when doing so.
Maybe slightly larger would be fine too.

> Have you tried reducing it to your new proposed default value and
> experimented with it, to let us know what it does to, say, photos larger
> than that value already stored in your keyring?

No.

> have you tried looking at statistics of what sizes of images are present
> in the public keyserver dumps?

Not yet, but it should be interesting to parse a dump.

> those would all be reasonable next steps if you want to present a
> convincing case for action here.

I did not ask for action here, even if it sounded like that. I was
curious to know why such a large size was implemented.

Regards
Stefan