gpg > addphoto

dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 9 23:29:06 CET 2019

Hello Stefan.

Am Mittwoch, den 09.01.2019, 22:50 +0100 schrieb Stefan Claas:
> On Wed, 09 Jan 2019 22:25:21 +0100,
> dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com wrote:
>
> Hi Dirk,
>
> > But, this is more a Problem of SKS. When SKS accepts such keys,
> > it's
> > not GPG's fault.

> Forget SKS for a moment, i send you, or distribute, such a key via
> other mediums and your GnuPG will accept it. :-D

As long, as the size of the picture doesn't exceed 16M, it surely will
be accepted. But this should not take a long time, 16M is nothing, so
there is no Problem with this. Nobody says it has to be prevented.
Sure, GPG can be "abused" in many ways. I also do this by using it for
a purpose it was not invented for. This is not an evil functionality.
If dome people like to put HiRes photos or other pictures in their UID,
for whatever purpose, so it is not an evil thing. Distributing a key
via email is no problem in this case and SKS, WKS and others should
oinly prevent storing those key for storage and sanity reasons.

> I only wanted to know why such a large image size in the first
> place was chosen, when GnuPG suggest a much much smaller
> size. :-)

I think the 16M are from times, where RAM was nbot measured in GB. In
this case it was to avoid long package computation times because the
RAM was smaller than 1GB. They had to choose a limit to avoid DDoS
attacks to GPG on a users computer. There was no intention to limit the
size of the photo because nobody thought about this at the moment of
decision.

Regards,
Dirk

--
Dirk Gottschalk
Paulusstrasse 6-8

GPG: DDCB AF8E 0132 AA54 20AB  B864 4081 0B18 1ED8 E838
Keybase.io: https://keybase.io/dgottschalk
GitHub: https://github.com/Dirk1980ac