Changing order of ids in key

dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 19 14:24:21 CET 2019

Hello Jerry.

Am Samstag, den 19.01.2019, 07:31 -0500 schrieb Jerry:
> Probably a dumb question, but I thought I would ask regardless.
>
> I created a key pair using my name and email address. I then added a
> new id to the key with the same name but a different email address.
> Now, when I send an email, the second id is the one displayed no
> matter what email address I was using when I sent the message. (I
> hope that this is making sense).

Yes, I know what you mean. This behavior depends mostly on the MUA you
are using. One UID is marked as primary. Some MUAs only display the
primary UID, some display all and some pick the right one from the
list.

> Is there any way to switch the position of the ids in the key other
> than deleting the key and creating a new one? Would I be better off
> creating two separate keys? I would rather keep things simple if
> possible. Would creating a sub-key be the way to go? I am sort of
> lost here.

You can set the other UID as primary. But you would have the same
problem, when you send with the other address. You should test it with
another MUA, what this displays. In my case (evolution), it checks the
UIDs and gives an 'okay' if one of the addresses matches the sender. If
I check for the signature key by clicking the symbol for the signature
details, I see the output of GPG with the primary UID and the other
UIDs as aliases, the same way, as gpg does on the command line.

Hth,
Dirk

--
Dirk Gottschalk
Paulusstrasse 6-8

GPG: DDCB AF8E 0132 AA54 20AB  B864 4081 0B18 1ED8 E838
Keybase.io: https://keybase.io/dgottschalk
GitHub: https://github.com/Dirk1980ac