decryption failed: Bad session key

Frank Hrebabetzky hreba at t-online.de
Sun Jan 20 22:26:54 CET 2019

On 1/20/19 5:34 PM, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> On 03/01/2019 15:25, Frank Hrebabetzky wrote:
>> gpg: AES256 encrypted data
>> gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
>> gpg: decryption failed: Bad session key
>
> This is also the error message you get when you specify the wrong
> passphrase. Perhaps you mistyped the passphrase when encrypting it? That
> way, no matter how correct you type it when decrypting it... you get it.

Hi Peter,

It took me quite some time until I got aware of this. A term like "key"
or "encryption key" would have made it easier for me, the "session" was
somewhat misleading.

I wrote a simple program which generates the most likely variation of my
passphrase, such as omitting single characters, changing upper/lower
case and trying the neighbors of each character on the keyboard, but
without success. So I probably will follow your hint about existing tools.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
--
Frank Hrebabetzky		+49 / 9261 / 950 0565