Calling GnuPG ME library from managed .NET

Markus Vetsch m.vetsch at infotech.li
Thu Jan 24 11:45:47 CET 2019

Hello,

we have integrated GnuPG via command line interface into our Windows client & server C#.NET application.
We are aware that the recommended way to interact with GnuPG is the library GnuPG ME.
That's why we would like to switch for better stability and robustness our C#.NET code base to the usage of GnuPG ME API, as we are facing several disturbing issues in a production environment caused by the command line interface calls and the fact that we don't have full control of the called processes.

Our crypto system requires support for both OpenPGP and CMS (S/MIME).
The GnuPG version in use on our side is 2.1.1.18.

Our research in this topic has detected that there already exists an OpenSource C#.NET project wrapping the native C calls from libgpgme-xx.dll.
However, the development state of this project indicates that the native calls (method signatures and corresponding data structres) target version 1.1.6 of the libgpgme-xx.dll.

https://github.com/wget/gpgme-sharp

For us as non C experts, it looks like an awful lot of work to extend this library for our purpose to match a newer target version of GnuPG ME.
Our prerequisite is, that our software is developed for commercial use and thus our time/budget resources are strictly limited.

Therefore, we have now the following questions:

1. Are you aware of any other commercial / OpenSource projects in .NET that could support us?
2. Which version of libgpgme-xx.dll is compatible to version 2.1.1.18 of GnuPG tool suite? Is this version 1.9.0 or version 1.7.0 according to the release news on page https://www.gnupg.org/news.html?
3. What are the preqrequisites (paths) to build C++ sources of GnuPG ME in Visual Studio for Windows 32 bit platforms? How do we manage to build the sources otherwise on command line?

We appreciate any feedback in this matter.

Best regards,
Markus

Markus Vetsch
Projektleiter Software-Entwicklung
Im alten Riet 125, 9494 Schaan, Liechtenstein
Mailto:m.vetsch at infotech.li,  Web: www.infotech.li
Phone: +423 380 00 00, direct: +423 380 00 04, Fax: +423 380 00 05
Unsere Produkte:
TimeSafe Leistungserfassung (Leistungserfassung und Fakturierung für Dienstleister)
TimeSafe Zeiterfassung (Präsenzzeiterfassung mit biometrischer Identifikation)
Weitere Infos unter: www.timesafe.ch
Oder auf Facebook