Calling GnuPG ME library from managed .NET

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 24 21:03:46 CET 2019

On Thu, 24 Jan 2019 10:45, m.vetsch at infotech.li said:

> 2. Which version of libgpgme-xx.dll is compatible to version 2.1.1.18
> of GnuPG tool suite? Is this version 1.9.0 or version 1.7.0 according
> to the release news on page https://www.gnupg.org/news.html?

The name of the DLL only reflects the compatible ABI version (SO number
in Unix parlance), it has not changed for a long time.

All GPGME versions since 0.4.x (from 2003) are all upward compatible.
For security reasons you should always use the latest vesion of GPGME
and never consider to use use an old version (1.1.6 is 11 years old).

> 3. What are the preqrequisites (paths) to build C++ sources of GnuPG
> ME in Visual Studio for Windows 32 bit platforms? How do we manage to
> build the sources otherwise on command line?

GnuPG installer for windows comes with a binary version of gpgme and all
development files to use it.  Take care to use gpgme_free and not a
plain free when you release data malloced by gpgme.

You may also want to look into gpgme-json tool, which provides a JSON
based interface to GPGME and thus GnuPG.  It is currently used for
native messaging with browsers, but can easily be used for other
purposes too; if you have a need for extensions, that can be done
easily.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner