Some thoughts on the future of OpenPGP and GnuPG

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Mon Jul 1 23:36:59 CEST 2019

karel-v_g--- via Gnupg-users wrote:

> Hello!

[snip]

Hi Karel,

I think *flame on* Werner does not need to change anything,
because he is in the lucky position do get financed by
the big boys, so I see no need for him to start doing something
new like many others (with no financial support) do. Plus he
has the big openpgp community behind him, which supports him too.
(I have nothing against Werner, he can make millions!)

I also used PGP since the mid 90's and later used PGP and finally
GnuPG. Nowadays I use the super cool box* (plus base91 as armor)
with friends and for .pdf documents I use eIDAS conform signatures,
so that I am compatible in the EU. I also experimented with
encrypted Fax documents, but the armor GnuPG uses produces to
many erros with OCR FOSS software. I had better luck with codegroup
armor and Googles OCR, when uploading encrypted documents.

If you like to use other solutions besides GnuPG I would google
for it, like something like this etc. and check github too:

https://ianix.com/pub/curve25519-deployment.html

*https://github.com/rovaughn/box

Regards
Stefan