Your Thoughts

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Tue Jul 2 10:06:31 CEST 2019

On 01/07/2019 23:55, Ryan McGinnis via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Null modem transfer of your messages?  Yikes.  To me that’s the issue
> with PGP in general as it relates to secure communications

None of any of the alternatives to OpenPGP you mention solve the issue
that a secure offline system sets out to solve. They are orthogonal
issues.

Alternatives to OpenPGP have the same need or lack of need of a secure
offline system as OpenPGP itself. The only difference I can think of
would be in the number of messages disclosed or the range of signatures
that could be faked by a compromise, not the base premise of disclosure
and impersonation.

You might well reasonably object to the UX of OpenPGP. Just not on the
ground that there are people who think about offline secure systems,
that makes no sense to me. The two are unrelated. The only relation I
can think of is that people who think about deploying offline secure
systems probably aren't quickly scared off by an overly complicated
system ;-).

Cheers,

Peter.