Your Thoughts

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Jul 2 14:18:29 CEST 2019

> Signal went the other way.  Build a verifiably secure communications platform so easy that literally anyone can figure it out.

I think this is a misunderstanding of Signal.

OpenPGP is, by its very nature, agnostic to ... well, just about
everything.  It was originally intended for email but spread to become
just about everywhere.  It's used for package verification mostly
nowadays.  That is the genuine 99% use case, and that's where our
attention really should be focused on.  Email is a niche, and even
moreso nowadays as email _itself_ is becoming a niche.  OpenPGP in email
is a niche within a niche.

Signal is, by its very nature, tightly tied to one specific
communications platform -- that of the smartphone.  It's not likely to
break out of its home.

It's true that Signal has had more impact than OpenPGP in email -- but I
think that's an unfair statement to make, as you're cherrypicking the
one niche where OpenPGP has had the *least* adoption.  Anything looks
like a failure if you only look at where it's failed.