Arch Linux impacted by new defaults in 2.2.17

Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wiktor at metacode.biz
Fri Jul 12 15:10:43 CEST 2019

Hello,

I just saw the following bug reported in Arch Linux repos:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/63147

with the title "[gnupg] 2.2.17 release is broken by design and breaks
pacman".

It appears Arch's packages use Web of Trust for introducing new
developers by adding 3 signatures out of 5 (or 6) marginally trusted
Master Signing Keys: https://www.archlinux.org/master-keys/ and thus
they depend on these signatures to be there.

Quoting the bug report:

> By default, pacman itself will try to look up keys which it does not know about yet, and download them with the master key signatures in order to validate signed packages/repositories.

Would deploying WKD on archlinux.org and making signatures with --sender
preserve third-party-signatures that they depend on?

Kind regards,
Wiktor

--
https://metacode.biz/@wiktor