Essay on PGP as it is used today

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Wed Jul 17 20:46:47 CEST 2019

Andrew Gallagher wrote:

> * And finally: “don’t encrypt email”? Yes, well. Email is not going away.
> Just like passwords, its death has been long anticipated, yet never arrives.
> So what do we do in the meantime?

I think the biggest problems is how can PGP or GnuPG users tell other users,
not familar with email encyrption yet, what else to use ...

PGP / GnuPG users are pretty biased IMHO when it comes to email encryption
and probably don't accept other and more modern solutions, which they could
recommend. All those recent or older articles speak about non-email solutions.

I for myself solved that problem with friends and now look for an additional
solution to create offline S/MIME compatible messages, which then can easily
been read by various MUAS. If someone has an idea I am all ears. I don't
care about Efail, because I have not heard in practice that Mallory attacked
already lot's of S/MIME users.

Regards
Stefan