I deleted 80 % of my keyring, but my keybox file isn't shrinking

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 18 14:08:42 CEST 2019

On Wed, 17 Jul 2019 23:41, ilf at zeromail.org said:

> But the keybox file didn't get any smaller:

Good catch.  In gpg we have not implenteted the compression run:

     /* FIXME: Do a compress run if needed and no other
        user is currently using the keybox. */

However, in gpgsm this is done.  It does not work immediately but is
run only on gpgsm invocation iff there has been np update operaion in
the last 3 hours.  Thus to force a compression run you can do:

  faketime -f +3 gpgsm -k foo >/dev/null

Note that gpgsm's option --faked-system-time does not work here ( I
pushed a fix, though).

> PS: This could probably be updated:
>
>> Well, OpenPGP keys are not implemented, gpg still used the keyring
>> file pubring.gpg.

Will do.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner