Essay on PGP as it is used today

Mark H. Wood mwood at iupui.edu
Mon Jul 22 22:00:54 CEST 2019

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 03:46:18PM +0000, Ryan McGinnis via Gnupg-users wrote:
>    [1]https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2018/05/details_on_a_ne.html
>
>    â 3. Why is anyone using encrypted e-mail anymore, anyway? Reliably and
>    easily encrypting e-mail is an insurmountably hard problem for reasons
>    having nothing to do with today's announcement. If you need to
>    communicate securely, use Signal. If having Signal on your phone will
>    arouse suspicion, use WhatsApp.â

Depends on your threat model.  For mine, reliably and easily
encrypting email is almost absurdly simple:

1) Use PGP
2) Don't send secrets to people I don't trust to keep them.

Anyway, 99% of my PGP use is for the opposite of secrecy: I sign my
emails so that (if you care enough to install PGP) you can be highly
assured that they're from me.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst