new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set"

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Wed Jul 24 18:38:25 CEST 2019

----- On Jul 24, 2019, at 5:58 PM, john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com wrote:

> Quoting your original e-mail:
>
> "i'm new to GPG, so please excuse asking silly questions.
> I managed to create my keys with "gpg2 --gen-key"
> I wrote an e-Mail to adele at gnupp.de with the subject "Mein öffentlicher
> Schlüssel", which is german for "my public key".
> Shortly thereafter i got an encrypted response which, i assume, i have to
> decrypt with my private key.
> I pasted the encrypted stuff into a file and then tried to decrypt:
>
> gpg2 -d nachricht.txt
>
> I've been asked for the passphrase for my private key which i entered,
> but then
> i got the following error:
>
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
>      "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel)
> <bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>
> The file has a size of 68 KB, could that be the culprit ?"
>
> Now addressing what I think is the culprit:
> You encrypt your e-mail with the public key of the recipient.
> When you are the recipient of an encrypted e-mail, the sender needs your
> publick key to be able to encrypt  the e-mail that will be send to you.
> You, the recipient, will use your private key to decrypt this e-mail.

That's exactly what i did.
I sent my Public key to adele at gnupp.de, which is a german project for GPG,
and the server and adele are for practicing.
Adele took my public key and sent me an e-Mail with some text and her public key,
so i should be able to decrypt that with my private key.

I don't have a plugin for my e-Mail-program because i just use the webinterface of the e-Mail-Server.

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Prof. Dr. Veronika von Messling
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h.c. Matthias Tschoep, Heinrich Bassler, Kerstin Guenther
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671