new to GPG: "gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set"

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Wed Jul 24 18:54:04 CEST 2019

On 24/07/2019 10:52, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> I sent a cleartext e-Mail with my public key to adele at gnupp.de (which is an automated system for practicing encryption and decryption)
> and i got an answer which is encrypted. I think it's encrypted with my public key so i should be able
> to decrypt it with my private key. That's what i tried. But i got the message while decrypting:
>
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID F742DB29, created 2019-07-23
>      "Bernd Lentes (Helmholtz GPG Schluessel) <bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de>"
> gpg: Fatal: zlib inflate problem: invalid code lengths set
>
> What does this meesage mean ?

Presuming that F742DB29 really is your key, then the message has been
correctly encrypted to you. I've sent a few test messages to adele, but
she doesn't seem to like the public key that I've sent her... :-/

It is possible that the message has been mangled in transit, or in the
process of copying and pasting it into a file. Did you cut and paste
from the raw email source, or from the formatted mail? Could it be that
there are invalid characters in the pasted ciphertext?

I'll send you a test message off-list. Let me know here if you get it,
and if you can decrypt it. Feel free to include it in any replies so
that we can see what format it gets to you in.

--
Andrew Gallagher