Enigmail

David david at gbenet.com
Wed Jul 31 14:36:25 CEST 2019

Patrick Brunschwig:
> On 31.07.2019 08:56, David wrote:
>> Patrick Brunschwig:

>>> That's not true. I have asked you for more details on the Enigmail
>>> mailing list. But instead of responding, you came here to ask the same
>>> questions.
>>>
>>> As Enigmail uses GnuPG for any crypto-operations, I don't think that the
>>> problem is in Enigmail, but in your setup. Feel free to answer my
>>> questions on the Enigmail mailing list, and I'll continue to try to find
>>> out what goes wrong.
>>>
>>> -Patrick
>>>

>> Hello Patrick,
>>
>> I did not approach this list for answers - I just asked if anyone knew
>> of an alternative. I then got drawn in to what was the problem.
>>
>> People say "Oh your settings are wrong" But the FAIL to give the RIGHT
>> SETTINGS!! And then go waffling on....................
>>
>> I have turned back the clock some 20 years - so have no settings to
>> support further keys.
>>
>> Having said that - I would appreciate exactly what settings will work to
>> enable me to sign with other emails and the public key associated with
>> it and to be able to encrypt and sign with differing emails and keys.
>>
>> I want specific instructions - not moaning and groaning my settings are
>> wrong and I don't know what I'm doing - that approach does not lead to a
>> solution.
>
> Here are the instructions:
>
> 1. Open the Thunderbird Account Settings (menu Tools > Account Settings)
> 2. switch to the tab "OpenPGP Security"
> 3. make sure that "Enable OpenPGP support" is checked
> 4. click on the button "Select key"
> 5. select the key that matches the email address of the account
>
> Repeat Steps 2-5 for each and every of your accounts/email addresses.
>
> If you follow(ed) these instructions, then everything else /should/ go
> automatically and you /should/ not have any issues. If you do have
> issues, then there are no simple instructions - we have to dig to find
> out what's wrong.
>
> The questions I asked on the Enigmail mailing list are the 1st step into
> trying to find out why things don't work as expected, as I assumed that
> -- as a long-term user -- you already did configure Enigmail correctly.
>
> -Patrick

Patrick,

When I first created my keys that is exactly what I did. It all failed.

Enigmail always defaults to the first set of keys one created - for
example site-addmin wants to an encrypted and signed mail to skipper -
when you go to select the public key of skipper - postmaster is always
selected.

Also - why is it that enigmail and reuse a passphrase 30- times - then
suddenly remember to use it??

Enigmaill does not always read it's own settings. Even when you flush
the cache and reboot your laptop or desktop. It always defaults to the
first key you created for signing and encryption when using local keys
ie david at gbenet.com site-addmin at gbenet.com skipper at gbenet.com

be Happy - but there's something amiss somewhere in the code - what that
something is I have no idea.

David

--
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Government - Their Government
Should Be Afraid Of The People - When Injustice Becomes Law, REBELLION