Encryption Algorithm for GnuPG?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sat Jun 1 05:53:13 CEST 2019

Please don't send HTML email to this list.

On 5/31/19 6:27 PM, Tony Lane wrote:
> I would say chacha2020 is also a strong cipher up there with AES.

As soon as you get ChaCha20 added to the OpenPGP spec, I'll start
participating in discussions on this mailing list about its merits.  :)

> It also has the benefit of being made by Daniel J. Bernstein...

Although djb definitely has cryptographer cred, you're doing yourself no
favors by not noting the pedigree of AES.  Vincent Rijmen is one of the
sharpest cryptographers in the world today, and Joan Daemen is also
better known as the guy who invented Keccak.  Their errors are literally
more interesting than most other people's successes.

djb is definitely a smart guy.  But there are lots of smart people
bouncing around the crypto field -- and we are all so lucky that's the case!