missing root certificate, SMIME spanish government

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jun 3 12:22:12 CEST 2019

On Sat,  1 Jun 2019 14:49, oub at mat.ucm.es said:

> Well but if I import the key, then I don't need to add it to the
> trustedlist file

The trustlist.txt list those certificates which are valid as root
certificates.  Importing a certificate does not add it to this list for
obvious reasons: All kind of certificates are imported all the time
without the user noticing (e.g. those sent as part of an S/MIME mail).
Root certificates are the trust anchor and thus we need the user's consent
to use them in such a way.

By default gpgsm asks you whether a certificate, which technically can
act as root certificate, shall be granted the trusted status (i.e. used
as a root certificate by being added to trustlist.txt).  You can change
this default by adding "no-allow-mark-trusted" to gpg-agent.conf.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner