gnupg installation and verification

Samir Zulfiquar samir.zulfiquar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 21:13:04 CEST 2019

Hello I just downloaded gnupg and tried to install and verify it.
Unfortunately I hardly know how to do anything with a computer other than
the basics, so maybe I just didn't interpret the instructions correctly. I
downloaded the installer and the open pgp signature to verify it (I have no
clue what a pgp signature even is). after I downloaded both I opened the
pgp signature file which didn't seem to do much other than bring up text of
some sort of code. I then installed gnupg, but I wasn't sure if I verified
it correctly. so I decided to try again. I looked at the website again and
tried right clicking on the gpg4win-3.1.8 file and went to "moreGpgEX
options" and clicked verify. The computer tried to verify it with the pgp
signature file but failed. I then went to the wiki page on integrity
checks. Most of the things there were too technical for me to understand.
the only thing I was able to do is check the file length, which was exactly
what it was supposed to be. It dose not seem like there were any download
problems, but I highly doubt it could be an attacker like the website said
(I downloaded both of the files from gnupg's own website and not some other
place) Anyway could someone explain in Leyman's terms what to do? Sorry if
the question sounds stupid.