New keyserver at keys.openpgp.org - what's your take?

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Fri Jun 14 12:04:16 CEST 2019

On 14/06/2019 09:31, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> Oscar Carlsson via Gnupg-users [2019-06-14 10:12:51+02] wrote:
>
>> I'm generally curious on your opinions on the latest new keyserver,
>> this time running a new software than the normal keyservers.
>>
>> They seem to have a different model which minimize the amount of
>> information available, to be compliant with GDPR and friends. Do you
>> think there are any downsides to this?
>
> You should have added a link to information about this "latest new
> keyserver" and its "different model" which you are referring to. Well,
> here:
>
> https://keys.openpgp.org/about/news#2019-06-12-launch

I think it's interesting, but it has a few shortcomings. For a start, it
only supports email userids - so it is incompatible with monkeysphere.
It's also a centralised resource, meaning it's not resilient enough for
distributing revocations, which is the main use case for SKS these days
(there are already several alternative systems for discovery).

So it's not an SKS-killer (yet).

--
Andrew Gallagher