New keyserver at keys.openpgp.org - what's your take?

Dirk Gottschalk dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 25 15:47:48 CEST 2019

Hi @ll.

Am Freitag, den 14.06.2019, 10:12 +0200 schrieb Oscar Carlsson via
Gnupg-users:
> Hi,

> I'm generally curious on your opinions on the latest new keyserver,
> this
> time running a new software than the normal keyservers.

> They seem to have a different model which minimize the amount of
> information available, to be compliant with GDPR and friends. Do you
> think there are any downsides to this?

Unfortunately I promised to Werner to not get political anymore about
the EU and GDPR thingies.

To the Server you're Mentioning:

I don't think it's such a good idea to drop Signatures on keys.
Validating the KEys and it's packet would mitigate many of the SKS
issues. But some people and solutions rely on the signatures.

Okay, running an in house keyserver might be an option for this
situations.

Also the centralized Approach is a no go in my opinion.

Reading this thread, I feel like I've done a time travel, back to the
times where people distributed their keys over the usenet due to the
lack of keyserver dunctionality. Keyservers like the desribed one is
less than useless in my opinion.

Even removing the ability to search for keys by UID is a thing I don't
like. But that's the GDPR panic. Yes, I know, no politics from the
angry guy. ^^

So, it's pretty hot here. Werner must have turned on the Heater. I'll
be quite now. :D

Regards,
Dirk

--
Dirk Gottschalk

GPG: 4278 1FCA 035A 9A63 4166  CE11 7544 0AD9 4996 F380
Keybase: https://keybase.io/dgottschalk
GitHub: https://github.com/Dirk1980ac