Infinite loop?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Jun 26 00:47:11 CEST 2019

On Tue 2019-06-25 12:02:13 -0700, James Moe via Gnupg-users wrote:
> On 25/06/2019 8.30 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>
>> Is it possible that your pubring.gpg is corrupt?
>
>   As it happens, yes.
>   The size of pubring.gpg was 20MB; the backup copy was 1.3MB. After
> restoring from backup, gpg2 performs normally.

Interesting!  my pubring.kbx is 147MiB, but GnuPG still should not run
forever when doing --list-keys.  It takes 17s to complete the listing of
my pubring.kbx, as measured by "time gpg --list-keys > /dev/null"

gpg should not take forever to list a 20MB keyring.

If you still have a copy of the corrupt 20M pubring.gpg, it might be
interesting to see it as an example, because it sounds like it's
tickling a bug.

however, sharing your keyring might be sensitive, and 20MB certainly
won't fit in a message on this mailing list.  If you are willing to
share it privately so this can be tracked down, feel free to reply to me
privately and we can figure out the details.

         --dkg