GnuPG and SSH_AUTH_SOCK value

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Jun 28 14:53:41 CEST 2019

On Fri 2019-06-28 11:09:36 +0200, Michael Kesper wrote:
> On 28.06.19 10:23, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>>>
>>> This makes your setup depend on a suid binary.
>>
>> Can you give more details?  I know that some older systems did rely on X
>> or startx or something being setuid, but i think more modern systems
>> don't require that.  On a debian testing (buster) system, for example, i
>> don't believe that any of the binaries are suid.
>
> The setuid binary is called xserver-xorg-legacy and can be installed in
> buster (new installs don't get it afaik, but I'm not sure about upgrading):
> https://packages.debian.org/de/buster/xserver-xorg-legacy
> Matthias explicitly mentioned he used startx so I think this is
> relevant.

I also use startx on buster systems, but i don't have
xserver-xorg-legacy installed, so i think this is not the strict
dependency it sounded like originally.  I know that i used to depend on
a setuid X server, so i'm gratefuly to the folks who did the work to
remove that setuid requirement!

Anyway, i think we're pretty far off-topic here, so i'll drop off this
thread, just wanted to confirm that i hadn't missed something.

all the best,

    --dkg