Using gpg in an automated environememt

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Mar 1 23:01:46 CET 2019

Hi Geoffrey--

On Wed 2019-02-27 17:19:08 +0100, gpirlot at manymore.fr wrote:

> I've been unsuccessfully trying for a while now to have gpg working in an
> automated environment.  I've been following the point 8.20 int the gnupg faq
> and I get an error at the gpg -homedir command (see screenshot below)

In the future, if it's possible, please send the text of such a
screenshot as text.  it makes it easier to index, to search, and to
reply to.

I think you're talking about this part of the FAQ:

   https://www.gnupg.org/faq/gnupg-faq.html#automated_use

It looks to me like you might not have followed step 4:

     Copy secring.auto and the public keyring to a test directory.

but i confess i also don't really understand this entry in the FAQ.  it
looks overly complicated to me, and seems to expect there to be a
"secret keyring", which is decidedly not the case for any modern version
of GnuPG. (modern GnuPG stores its long-term secrets in
~/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d/ )

Perhaps if you could explain more about what you're trying to do,
someone here could point you to documentation that suits your goals
better?

all the best,

        --dkg