Invalid IPC Response requiring gpg-agent restart

Farhan Khan farhan at farhan.codes
Mon Mar 4 03:51:51 CET 2019

Hi all,

I am ssh'ing into a FreeBSD box with my PGP key. I noticed that when I try to
decrypt or sign something, I get this error:

---
$ echo test | gpg -a --sign
gpg: signing failed: Invalid IPC response
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----

gpg: signing failed: Invalid IPC response
---

When I check the running processes, I see this:
gpg-agent --homedir /usr/home/user/.gnupg --use-standard-socket --daemon

My ~/.gpg-agent.conf is:
enable-ssh-support
default-cache-ttl 300
max-cache-ttl 1200

If I kill this process and restart using "gpg-agent --daemon', everything works
fine. Is there a long-term solution to fix whatever settings is broken?

Thanks!
---
Farhan Khan
PGP Fingerprint: 1312 89CE 663E 1EB2 179C  1C83 C41D 2281 F8DA C0DE