Multiple dev one signing key

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Mar 10 20:29:14 CET 2019

On Fri,  8 Mar 2019 20:05, johndoe65534 at mail.com said:

> What is the best way forward?
> - One signing key accessible on the release system

I'd say depends on the release system.  In most cases this is a
networked box and I would hesitate to do this.  Using gpg --with a
remote gpg-agent would be an option, though.

> - Eatch dev having a copy of the key to be able to sign a release

That is what we do in GnuPG.  We have a few core developers which carry
a key and that set of key is distributed with each gpg release and also
via other channels.  We also demand that the keys are all smartcard based
and thus a remote key compromise would need physical access.  Well, a
developer could be tricked into sign a bad release bu tat leas this
would not compromise the widely distributed key.

We often add a second signature to a release.  For example, I sign many
of the releases and when Niibe-san then sends me his signature for the
same tarball I then append that signature to mine [1].  This is also the
reasons why you often notice changed signature file (you can simply
concatenate detached signatures).  For a small group this works really
well, but for a larger group the system Konstantin describes in his mail
is better up to the task.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

[1] Using gnupg/build-aux/append-signature.sh