Can I use my Microsoft Outlook S/MIME certificate with gpgsm.exe ?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Mar 14 14:17:30 CET 2019

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 03:03, dkbryant at gmail.com said:

> $ echo hi | gpgsm --sign --armor --default-key 0x64208E9A
> --disable-crl-checks --disable-policy-checks
> gpgsm: error creating signature: No value <KSBA>

Please always add -v or --verbose to the invocation if you run into
problems.  This gives more diagnostics.  For gpgsm I would also suggest
to add

  --audit-log alog.txt

which prints some infos about the certificate etc. to the given file.

Are you sure that the root certificate of your organization as been
imported?  Use

  gpgsm --list-chain 0x64208E9A

to check this.  You can add --with-validation in which case gpgsm does
all checks it would do before signing or encrypting.

Note that ECC certificates are not yet supported.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner