Identifying one of multiple authentication subkeys

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Sat Mar 16 14:42:49 CET 2019

Hi,

On 16/03/2019 14:22, Dirk Gottschalk wrote:
> In the output from --export-ssh-key is also a comment field. This
> fieldd, in my case shows: openpgp:0xF852DAEE

Yes, but it is only added by the --export-ssh-key command and has a
fixed form. Instead, for my keys, which by the way are not part of an
OpenPGP certificate and therefore can't be used with --export-ssh-key,
they are stored with the private key. The comment got there because they
were originally OpenSSH keys with that comment, and the comment got
retained on import into the agent. I could have put any comment
whatsoever in it and it would have been stored by the agent and shown on
any invocation of ssh-add -{l,L}.

$ ssh-add -l
[...]
256 SHA256:xb01Ehdlix7o5oLN0YUEkhr70yZDXXCNXcMoNS48PB0 Just a comment (ED25519)

HTH,

Peter.