gpg-agent of gpg 2.2.13 seems to pass wrong passphrase

Tetsuji Rai t-rai at umin.ac.jp
Mon Mar 18 06:13:08 CET 2019

On 3/18/19 1:25 PM, Tetsuji Rai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using gnupg 2.2.13 and 1.4.23 on Fedora 29 on gnome desktop on two
> computers.  Usually, I use 2.2.13.
>
> On one desktop, gpg-2.2.13 works perfectly.    However on the other one,
> gpg-agent seems to work wrong.   It doesn't seem to pass the passphrase
> entered to gpg2 properly.   So I cannot decode files encrypted with an
> error "Bad passphrase".   But on the console, without gpg-agent, gpg2
> can receive the passphrase correctly and decode encrypted files.
>
> So I want to know how this can be avoided, or how I can see if the
> passphrase is passed from gpg-agent to gpg2.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -Tetsuji

Hi,

Self-reply.

I found the solution after launching gpg-agent with --debug-level
advance option.   In a nutshell, gpg-agent doesn't seems to support
Xwayland.   It works with Xorg, but not with Xwayland.   So I changed
/etc/gdm/custom.conf so that gdm always launches Xorg instead of
Xwayland and the problem has gone.

Thank you!!

-Tetsuji