Enforcing password complexity for private keys

Mike Gerwitz mtg at gnu.org
Sat May 4 04:24:54 CEST 2019

On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 15:44:26 +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> Use ECC keys with Yubikeys or use a Gnuk based token like the original
> Gnuk token or one from another venodor like Nitrokey.  I use a GnuK
> token with an ed25519 signing key to sign my commits.  IMHO, token based
> 4k RSA keys are too slow for regular work.

FWIW I use a 4096 bit RSA key on a Nitrokey Pro (a model that's a couple
years old) and the total time of PIN entry + signing averages
~5s.  While it is certainly a noticeable delay, I don't find it
burdensome for operations like signing mail and commits, and I'll sign
sometimes dozens of times per day, with forced pinentry.

I'm not suggesting that RSA be used instead of ECC; my token just
doesn't support it.  But newer Nitrokeys do.  I'll likely switch
eventually.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer