ProtonMail and Anonymity

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Mon May 6 18:07:58 CEST 2019

Am Mon, 6 May 2019 16:17:01 +0100
schrieb Mark Rousell <markr at signal100.com>:

> On 06/05/2019 15:39, Stefan Claas wrote:
> > Maybe I should set-up squid on a VPS and let people register from
> > there, while keeping no log files. :-D
>
> Check your local laws first. I am pretty sure that doing that
> (specifically the no logs bit) in the UK would now be a criminal
> offence. ;-) This is the same as many other EU countries due to one of
> the EU's data retention regulations whose name I've now forgotten.

Thanks for pointing that out! O.k. I do not want to get to off-topic
here but it interests me what would happen if I use a US based server
and a US domain with whois guard? Would ProtonMail really hunt down
a proxy server operator, or let's say other email providers, when
doing such a thing, or would they simply block access from that
domain? I mean it is not a crime to run a proxy server.

Regards
Stefan