ProtonMail and Anonymity

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Mon May 6 19:31:38 CEST 2019

Am Mon, 6 May 2019 06:52:10 +0200
schrieb Stefan Claas <sac at 300baud.de>:

> Am Sun, 5 May 2019 17:16:12 -0700
> schrieb Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net>:
>
> > Well of course that's not anonymous!
> >
> > So what you do, if you want ~anonymity, is to use their Tor onion
> > site. That doesn't ask for anything beyond an email address.
>

> Assuming that this is their real .onion address, I just tried that.
>
> https://protonirockerxow.onion/login and got this:
>
> Are you human?
>
> To fight spam, please verify you are human.
>
> Your email or phone number will not be linked to the account created.
> It is only used during the signup process. A hash will be saved to
> prevent abuse of the ProtonMail systems. (Why is this required?)
>
> SMS
> Donate
>
> Now my question for privacy experts ... Would you give away your
> mobile phone number when using Tor ???

In case someone from the ProtonMail team is reading this thread ...

When using Tor for sign-up and using the donate* button I would
suggest support for the crypto currency Monero, so that users
stay anonymous.

*I have learned a while ago that privacy may cost also a bit
of money, even when using Open Source software only.

Regards
Stefan