ProtonMail and Anonymity

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Mon May 6 20:30:55 CEST 2019

Am Mon, 6 May 2019 18:55:50 +0100
schrieb Mark Rousell <markr at signal100.com>:

> (a) It's not a crime to run a proxy in the UK or EU[1]. It's just that
> there are metadata logging and log-retention requirements if you do
> so. (Once again, I apologise because I've lost my notes on all the EU
> and UK legislation that may require this. It's findable on DuckDuckGo
> or the search engine of your choice of course).

Thanks for pointing that out! I will do more research on this topic.

> (b) ProtonMail isn't going to hunt down anyone (unless, maybe, they
> are forced to by their local law enforcement). They aren't the police
> and they're not even based in the EU, so they don't care.

That is was I am thinking as well, but it does not hurt to ask.

> (c) I do not know how the relevant legislation would work if you are a
> UK or EU resident but set up your proxy service on hardware based in
> the USA or another jurisdiction that does not enforce logging. A
> careful reading of the legislation that is relevant to your local
> jurisdiction might inform you.

I will check that out, because I am currently doing a project
which is similar and it is better to be properly informed than
instead later falling on my nose.

Thanks again for your valuable input, much appreciated!

Regards
Stefan