encrypt file in batch mode

Fourhundred Thecat 400thecat at gmx.ch
Sat Nov 2 15:35:06 CET 2019

Hello,

how can I simply encrypt a file in "batch mode", ie in a script, without
user interaction, without need for the user to type password, without
gpg agent?

Below are the errors that I get when running:

$ gpg --lock-never -e -s -r user at domain.com --output zz zz.gpg

What is the reason why simple operations should not be possible without
gpg-agent ?

gpg: starting migration from earlier GnuPG versions
gpg: failed to start agent '/usr/bin/gpg-agent': No such file or directory
gpg: can't connect to the agent: No such file or directory
gpg: error: GnuPG agent unusable. Please check that a GnuPG agent can be
started.
gpg: migration aborted
gpg: failed to start agent '/usr/bin/gpg-agent': No such file or directory
gpg: can't connect to the agent: No such file or directory
gpg: failed to start agent '/usr/bin/gpg-agent': No such file or directory
gpg: can't connect to the agent: No such file or directory
gpg: keydb_search failed: No agent running
gpg: no default secret key: No agent running
gpg: gpg.conf.gpg: sign+encrypt failed: No agent running

my version: gpg (GnuPG) 2.2.12

thanks,