We have GOT TO make things simpler

Sheogorath sheogorath at shivering-isles.com
Mon Oct 7 22:59:53 CEST 2019

On 9/30/19 4:38 PM, Jeff Allen via Gnupg-users wrote:
> On 9/30/19 4:58 AM, Roland Siemons wrote:
>> Dear GNUPG developers,
>>
>> We have GOT TO make things simpler.
> <snip>
>> 3/ Please do appreciate that the persons who we are convincing and
>> instructing are not particularly interested in privacy. They need simple
>> approaches.
>
> ProtonMail or Tutanota.  Both ensure far more privacy and security than
> Gmail.  Both offer free accounts and smartphone apps.  If you need to
> communicate privately with someone, have them get an account.

I'm sorry to disappoint you here: Neither ProtonMail nor Tutanota speak
proper OpenPGP (by default) with outside services. Tutanota doesn't
speak OpenPGP at all and completely bound to their own way of doing
"email"(?)[1].

Protonmail on the other hand is able to speak OpenPGP, they just don't
do it. Not even when you answer to a OpenPGP encrypted email, which will
result in the answer getting send to you in plaintext. And since a reply
contains a copy of the original email at the bottom you also get your
own, previously encrypted mail as answer without encryption.

I had this experience recently when sending emails with their support.
So it's not just a user error, but their UI simply doesn't think about
sending emails properly encrypted to the outside world. Sadly.

And no, making a mail account at each of those providers is no solution.
We have email to explicitly not run into this problem.

[1]: https://tutanota.com/faq/#pgp

--
Signed
Sheogorath