FAQ October 2019 update

Chris Narkiewicz hello at ezaquarii.com
Tue Oct 15 23:21:56 CEST 2019

On 15/10/2019 21:59, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> Should they update?  Yes.  Is the problem mitigated by an update?  Yes.
>  But will they?  Probably not before wedging their keyring.  Given that
> high-profile people in the community have had our certificates defaced,
> it's possible someone will say "I want to ask dkg a question," pull down
> his cert, get wedged, and... etc.

I can confirm that this happens and users are being b0rked because
of trolls.

Street level rumour is that GnuPG key exchange is broken and you should
not use it.

It doesn't matter what the truth is - it is the public perception
that recent SKS events made it unusable, this was advertised
across the media all over the place and the image stuck.

Additionally, poor handling of SKS fiasco by GnuPG community
hurt it's credibility a lot, so a clear signal that this issue was
treated seriously would be beneficial.

Should it be advertised as a new go-to standard or as
transitional standard, beta/alpha/whatever - I don't know,
it's debatable.

Cheers,
Chris