Future OpenPGP Support in Thunderbird

Patrick Brunschwig patrick at enigmail.net
Sat Oct 19 17:20:59 CEST 2019

Jeff Allen via Gnupg-users wrote on 18.10.2019 16:02:
[...]
> My take on your original explanation of the reason for Enigmail's
> pending demise is that a changed Thunderbird plug-in scheme makes it
> more efficient to build Enigmail functionality into the MUA.

That's only the 2nd half of the explanation. 1st and foremost, the
changed plugin scheme comes along with a completely new API (that does
not even exist completely by now). This would require me to rewrite
almost all of Enigmail from scratch. I don't have enough free time for
doing that, nor would I be interested in it. This, and nothing else, was
initially the reason why we started the discussion with the Thunderbird
team.

> Why not stick with that and focus on what has made Enigmail
> successful?
What is the reason in your eyes that made Enigmail successful?

-Patrick