Regenerate Openpgp Public Key from Private Key

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Sep 17 13:24:22 CEST 2019

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:09, me at halfdog.net said:

> Therefore some exports (or copies of old secring.gpg) just do
> no include the public key, otherwise import would be trivial.

Nope.  It is not possible to create an OpenPGP secret keyblok without
the public key parts.

> As the key causing me problems was very old, I do not have the
> software at hand that was used to create it, nor it is clear

We removed v3 key support in 2.1 for security reasons.  You need to use
gpg 1.4 wo work with these keys.

> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/267844/gpg-secret-key-not-available-when-sec-pub-key-are-in-keyring

That is about the old 2.0 (or a 1.4) version which is end-of-life and
did not allow to merge secret and public keyblocks.  That might be the
problem at hand.  2.2 fixes this problem by not trying to sync a
secring.gpg and pubring.gpg.  The secring.gpg is actually not anymore
used but the secret parts of the key have been moved to the gpg-agent's
secret key store.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner