We have GOT TO make things simpler

Jeff Allen jrallen at runbox.com
Mon Sep 30 16:38:36 CEST 2019

On 9/30/19 4:58 AM, Roland Siemons wrote:
> Dear GNUPG developers,
>
> We have GOT TO make things simpler.
<snip>
> 3/ Please do appreciate that the persons who we are convincing and
> instructing are not particularly interested in privacy. They need simple
> approaches.

ProtonMail or Tutanota.  Both ensure far more privacy and security than
Gmail.  Both offer free accounts and smartphone apps.  If you need to
communicate privately with someone, have them get an account.

> 4/ Here is my proposal:
> 4.1/ Stimulate that people use a GUI like GPA or Kleopatra. Not
> Enigmail, although it offers the same, but it offers too much for
> beginners. Email integration comes after people have a basic
> understanding. Please do appreciate if people only want to be able to
> prepare encrypted documents for sending them as attachments.
<snip>

Few people not particularly interested in privacy are going to adopt a
solution requiring selecting, cutting, encrypting and pasting text. If
they already use Thunderbird, Enigmail is an easy enough to learn.  The
real stumbling block is that most people don't do email using
Thunderbird or any MUA.

Jeff