“Hardware problem” with OpenPGP smart card

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Dec 6 12:37:19 CET 2020

On Sat,  5 Dec 2020 15:20, Nicolas Boullis said:

> gpg: public key decryption failed: Hardware problem
> gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

To make sure that this is really the card (or reader), I'd like to ask
you to put

log-file /some/path/scd.log
verbose
debug cardio

into scdaemon.conf.  Kill scdaemon.conf and retry. You should see a line
with status code 0x6581 (EEPROM FAILURE) in response to a VERIFY (00 20
... PIN) APDU or a PSO (00 2A ....) APDU.  If that is the case you are
probably out of luck.  It is a rare thing; iirc, I recall one other
report about a hardware failure.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner