Smartcard not initialized automatically on GnuPG 2.2.24

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu Dec 10 22:51:46 CET 2020

On Donnerstag, 10. Dezember 2020 11:57:53 CET Heiko Carrasco via Gnupg-users
wrote:
> I recently got the "new" version of GnuPG 2.2.24 through my distribution
> and noticed some form of bug together with my smartcard.

It's a regression. It has already been fixed. See below. You could ask your
distribution to quickly update to GnuPG 2.2.25.

> When I attempt to use gpg to decrypt something I get the following
> error:
> $ gpg -d test.gpg
> gpg: encrypted with 4096-bit RSA key, ID 1632F70C0F463100, created
> 2015-08-24 "Heiko Carrasco <heiko.carrasco at yahoo.com>
> gpg: public key decryption failed: Invalid ID
> gpg: decryption failed: No secret key

>From the release notes for GnuPG 2.2.25 ([1]):
=====
Noteworthy changes in version 2.2.25

  * scd: Fix regression in 2.2.24 requiring gpg --card-status before
    signing or decrypting.  [#5065]
=====

Regards,
Ingo