[Keyserver] Hockeypuck 2.1.0 released (Andrew Gallagher)

Casey Marshall casey.marshall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 06:11:10 CET 2020

> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 19:59:46 +0000
> From: Andrew Gallagher <andrewg at andrewg.com>
> To: SKS Development and Deployment discussion <sks-devel at nongnu.org>,
>         GnuPG Users <gnupg-users at gnupg.org>
> Subject: Re: [Keyserver] Hockeypuck 2.1.0 released
> How do you handle the gradual degradation of sync as different operators
> implement divergent blacklists?

This might be a controversial opinion, but I would allow it to happen.

Even if reconciliation cannot provide perfect consistency in such a world,
it is still useful as a gossip protocol to distribute new keys and
signatures.

My prediction (given keyserver operator buy-in) is, some cohorts of
like-minded keyserver operators will coordinate on their settings. Peers in
these cohorts will keep relatively more closely in sync and propagate key
material faster amongst themselves, than with those that have different
policies that cause them to diverge more widely. Peers across these more
divergent cohorts may still peer at a lower frequency, so key material
accepted by both may still propagate.

-Casey