GPG Encryption on Raspberry Pi 4 using custom e-mail address failure

david.donnelly at daviddonnelly.com david.donnelly at daviddonnelly.com
Tue Dec 15 21:29:19 CET 2020

Good Day,

  This very novice would appreciate some help.

  My situation:

I have several Raspberry Pi 4 computers running the Raspberry Operating
System (Raspbian GNU/Linux [buster], Version ID=10) at my home.  I need each
of them to send me an email notification when certain functions are
performed.

I have gpg version 2.2.12-1+rpi1+deb10u1 installed.

To this end, I have configured the mail system called msmtp on each
Raspberry Pi 4 computer.  I can send email to my myself via my Gmail and
david.donnelly.com (IONOS.COM) accounts manually and interactively using
msmtp on each of the Raspberry Pi 4 computers.

Problem:

However, following good internet security policies, I tried to encrypt my
email account passwords using GPG (Gnu PG: https://gnupg.org/).  These
encrypted passwords are to be stored in a file on each Raspberry Pi4
computer.

Now, first off, this encryption process worked fine for my Gmail Account.  I
was able to run the following command:

gpg --encrypt -o .msmtp-gmail.gpg -r donnellydw at gmail.com
<mailto:donnellydw at gmail.com>  -

The password provided was encrypted with no problems and the associated file
was created.

However,  when I try to run the same command using my david.donnelly.com
(IONOS.COM) email account:

gpg --encrypt -o .msmtp-ionos.gpg -r david.donnelly at daviddonnelly.com
<mailto:david.donnelly at daviddonnelly.com>  -

or

gpg --encrypt -o .msmtp-ionos.gpg -r 2d at daviddonnelly.com
<mailto:2d at daviddonnelly.com>  -

I get the following three errors:

gpg: error retrieving 'david.donnelly at daviddonnelly.com' via WKD: Network
error

gpg: david.donnelly at daviddonnelly.com
<mailto:david.donnelly at daviddonnelly.com> : skipped: Network error

gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: Network error

If I substitute and use my 2d at daviddonnelly.com
<mailto:2d at daviddonnelly.com>  email address, I get the same three errors:

gpg: error retrieving '2d at daviddonnelly.com' via WKD: Network error

gpg: 2d at daviddonnelly.com <mailto:2d at daviddonnelly.com> : skipped: Network
error

gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: Network error

I then reran the encryption command using my Gmail address:

gpg --encrypt -o .msmtp-gmail.gpg -r donnellydw at gmail.com
<mailto:donnellydw at gmail.com>  -

and encryption and file creation was successful.

At face value, I have internet access, my network is working, so I have
concluded something is causing a problem in the gpg program with
resolving/determining/? how to translate my IONOS.COM custom e-mail address:
david.donnelly at daviddonnelly.com <mailto:david.donnelly at daviddonnelly.com>
or 2d at daviddonnelly.com <mailto:2d at daviddonnelly.com>  vice the GPG program
fully understanding how to handle the "gmail.com" address.

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated,

Dave