Rationale/reasons for splitting Sign and Authenticate into two separate subkeys in a work-environment?

Christian Chavez x10an14 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 13:31:42 CET 2020

Hi!

I'm currently helping my workplace test out Yubikeys - to see how/if they
could help us with our software development. One expected benefit is to
allow developers cryptographically sign Git commits/tags (e.g).

My question is based on this awesome answer by Thomas Pornin:
https://security.stackexchange.com/a/43591;
*In a work-environment, what benefits does one gain by having separate
Authentication/Signing (sub)keys?*

I understand and agree with the rationale of keeping a separate Encryption
key (so that this could be shared with your employer), but that rationale
does not extend for Signing/Authenticating (presuming a trustworthy
workplace which doesn't need to fake authentication/signing of employees).
--
Med vennlig hilsen/Kind regards,
Christian Chavez