Revoking a Lost Key

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Thu Feb 6 00:37:05 CET 2020

On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 03:59:01PM -0700, Mark wrote:
>Is there anyway to revoke an OLD LOST PGP key? I no longer have either
>the public or private keys but can find the KeyID. I'm guessing not but
>figured I'd ask just in case.

The revocation certificate needs to be signed by the private key, so
without the private key it is indeed not possible.

It is possible to ask a third party to revoke your key in your stead,
but only if you have previously made said third party a "designated
revoker" (something that needs to be done in advance, when you still
have the private key).

Since you cannot revoke, the only thing you may try is asking some of
the people who certified your lost key (if any) to revoke their
certification of your key.

Cheers,

- Damien