Proposal - variable line width for ASCII armor output

Michał Górny mgorny at gentoo.org
Wed Feb 26 20:02:58 CET 2020

On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 13:34 -0500, vedaal via Gnupg-users wrote:

> On 2/26/2020 at 11:27 AM, "Stefan Claas via Gnupg-users" <gnupg-users at gnupg.org> wrote:
>
> > I like to make a proposal for future versions of GnuPG,
> > where a user can change the line witdh of ASCII armor
> > output.
>
> =====
>
> It would not be compatible with older versions.
>
> The simplest thing for you, (or any users who prefer the aesthetics of a particular custom line width),
> would be to first make the GnuPG ascii armored message, then change it as you want to and copy, paste, and post,
> with a little note of how to change it back for verification.

Why 'change it back'?  Unless I'm mistaken, GPG shouldn't have any real
problem with a different base64 width, as long as the overall layout is
preserved.  I've just did a quick test and GPG is entirely happy with
the result after rewrapping at 50 chars, as well as after cheap
rewrapping with uneven lines.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny